Every January, as I reflect on the past year, I inevitably think of a few particular purchases that really changed my lifestyle in a positive way. Here’s the list for 2020.
- Theragun Elite – I’ve long struggled with feeling stiff and tired in the mornings, especially since I am usually training pretty hard during most of the year. And as any sportsman knows, there’s nothing better after an arduous workout than a massage session. Unfortunately, a massage therapist is not always on hand for that. This solves both issues in a convenient package that is easy to travel with and perfect for daily use. I have used it daily and it’s probably my best investment of the year.
- Herman Miller Aeron – There’s not much to say about this chair that hasn’t been said already. It’s the world’s most famous office chair, and most probably the best one. While I still get uncomfortable sitting for long periods, this chair makes it better and I love the mesh material that keeps me cool in summer.
- Brompton Electric – After much dilly-dallying, I finally pulled the trigger on this purchase and it’s been absolutely awesome. I already felt that Barcelona was a big playground that I could run around with my non-electric Bromptons at will, but this took Electric Brompton took things to a different level. I can now go up the mountains around Barcelona with ease as well as go much further to explore other towns in the vicinity. Given the lockdown and restrictions on movement in place, this has been a godsend as it gives me the impetus to go out and spend time in nature.
- Icebreaker clothing – This year I’ve taken a closer look at my wardrobe and decided that I would focus on wearing comfortable, sporty and stylish clothes. The material that fit the best for my active lifestyle is merino wool, which is very breathable and supremely comfortable. Icebreaker is one of the best brands in this space and I’ve stocked up on underwear, t-shirts etc. from this brand. The change from other materials is pretty massive.
- Airpods Pro – These earphones are absolutely top-notch and I carry them everywhere with me. Noise-canceling is excellent as is sound quality. I use them for working in public spaces, at home and while training.
- Balance Surfer – I’ve been slowly assembling a home gym made up of portable exercise material, and this one was one of my latest additions. I love exercising with my son at home and teaching him new tricks, and this has served well. Turns out my biggest use for this, however, is to stand on while I’m working at my standing desk. I usually put on some electronic music mix while working and I naturally start moving about while I type. Being on the balance surfer feels really good and does some help with strengthening my ankles.