If you lose access to your cryptocurrency, then you may be eligible to claim a capital loss. To claim the loss, you will need to be able to provide the following kinds of evidence:
- when you acquired and lost the private key;
- the wallet address that the private key relates to;
- the cost you incurred to acquire the lost or stolen cryptocurrency;
- the amount of cryptocurrency in the wallet at the time of loss of private key;
- that the wallet was controlled by you (for example, transactions linked to your identity);
- that you are in possession of the hardware which stores the wallet;
- transactions to the wallet from a digital currency exchange for which you hold a verified account or that is linked to your identity.